Dublin by Night - A Shot at Night Photography

18 June 2015 Samuel Beckett Bridge, Co. Dublin, Ireland

The night lights near the harp bridge in dublin

Whenever I go on solo trips (which is pretty much almost every trip i've taken this year) I try not to stay out alone too late at night, regardless of the city.
This is why I never really have night shots of a city. Even if I'm out during sunset, I seldom have my tripod with me as I rarely carry it around for the WHOLE day (usually only in the mornings for some outfit shots).

When I was in Dublin, I figured, hey, the night lights along the river seems pretty nice from the pictures online, and Dublin seems like a rather safe place, maybe I should give this night photography thing a go. It should be kinda fun! Plus since I'm alone, I can take as long as I want, right?

Sun setting over dublin's main canal

I went for a late dinner along the Liffey, and waited for the sun to go down. According to the weather app on my phone, sunset was suppose to be at 8.50pm. So I waited. 9... 9.30... "WHY IS IT STILL BRIGHT?!" I was pretty tired that day and had half a mind to just give up, go back shower and rest. But I didn't, and by 930 the sun was beginning to go down.

Knowing the UK, sunsets aren't as vibrant, the thick clouds in the sky made sure of that. I wasn't disappointed because I had already expected it to just gradually get darker without the colourful sunset shades in the sky.

At about 9.50pm, I made my way down to the Samuel Beckett Bridge hoping for the sky to be completely dark by the time I strolled over.

Image of the Heineken Building with its words lighted up
Image of the night lights and flags near dublin craft brewery

As I walked along the Liffey, the sky gradually got darker, and it got dark pretty fast! By the time I arrived at the Custom House, the streetlights were on, the sky was dark, and the building looked great in the night.

There was no one around, which was good, but there were also very few cars. That meant that I didn't manage to get the light trails I was hoping to get.

Night photography of the lights at custom house in dublin ireland
Night photography of the lights and dublin liffey
Image of the river in dublin at night near the samuel beckatt bridge

Eventually, I turned my attention towards the Liffey, the bridges, and the architecture on the other side. Snapping a couple of shots every few steps, I finally arrived opposite the Samuel Beckett Bridge.

Picture of the Night lights on the Samuel Beckatt Bridge in Dublin Ireland
Night shot of the custom house key and samuel beckatt bridge

The lights on the bridge were stunning! The winds were rather strong that day, so that caused a lot of ripples in the river. Actually, it could be that my shutter speed was set too low, and that resulted in those light streaks in the river.

I was hoping for some distinct reflection, unfortunately, the winds were too strong it wasn't easy to achieve.
Still I quite liked the effect of the moving waters and the dancing light effects it created.

The night view by the river in dublin
Night shot of the liffey in dublin and samuel beckatt bridge

To be honest, I don't know if these pictures are considered good, after all I'm not any sort of professional nor do I have any experience with night photography.
I just really liked the colours of the different lights, and plus, I think its nice to document my first ever night photography experience, and hopefully I see myself improve soon, and hopefully I'm able to go on and take more night shots in the future!

The one below looks like some kind of aurora event IN THE WATER under the bridge, which I was pretty surprised because the green did not even stand out that much in real life!

Night view and lights in dublin ireland image
Image of the lights and dublin river near samuel Beckatt bridge

Dublin Liffey is such a nice place; both in the day and at night. It is pretty in an understated way. It's just natural to feel a sense of calm whenever you walk past it.
Anyway, if anyone has some tips for night photography that I can use in my next attempt, please let me know! I'd love to improve :)


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | By Carina Chung . Design by Fearne .