I was suppose to go to the market today, but I woke up late, and so i'm blogging :)
Skyped the Europe gang last night and I decided not to set my alarm, and then I jumped up at 8.45am because I thought I was late for work. Omg. Also, Im having trouble switching between the french keyboard at work my american keyboard now. Haahah, its funny, my fingers seem to have a different brain of its own.
Anyway, so 2 weeks ago I went on a D-day theme Day Tour to Normandy. Went to Caen Memorial, Pointe du Hoc, The beaches for the landings, American War Memorial, and some other stuff along the way.
Apparently, on the day of the invasion, Hitler was asleep. And he only found out about the invasion at roughly 12noon when the landings and invasion started at 6.30 am, through the 4 beaches - Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, and Sword Beach.
I was glad I took the day tour though it was pretty expensive, met many older American or Canadian Couples/families. Also the guide was so informative, I would probably be too clueless to understand anything if not for it.
In an attempt to keep my blog post short, I'm splitting the tour into parts haha! Click below to read more!
The memorial was very very interesting. The whole trip was. This memorial gave a super detailed elaboration of world war 2, from the start all the way to the liberation of France. People who enjoy (European) History will adore this museum. It was so good.
The Great Depression
The inflation of currency
Super interesting mini screens around showing clips from the past/representing the past
Totalitarianism symbol flag
Walkway with a big screen showing clips from the past
Pictures from the war
Lettters written in the past during the war
There was a black and white film that chronologically explained the things that happened during the period
This was a familiar sight, things we've seen before in textbooks when we studied about the japanese occupation in asia.
Medical Professionals that were part of T4, programme for the elimination by euthanasia of the Nazi Germany's physically and mentally disabled.
The suffering of the Jews
A buoyed mine that was found. This was anchored by a cable to a sinker on the seabed so that it would hit a passing ship. 55, 000 were dropped and 10, 00 of these were planted along the coastline of France to blockade the German-occupied Europe.
Finally, the victory when France was liberated.
Newspapers that announced the victory.
There was also a separate area specifically showing the details of the landings on D-day.
Normandy ended up in ruins because of the invasion, and the past has left a lasting impression for the french.
Here are the flags of the countries that helped to free France from the rule of Hitler. All the countries with allied soldiers that represented.
Never had the chance to visit a european or american war memorial. It was so interesting to see what happened on the other side of the world during the world war. Stories of suffering are always so heart breaking.
In primary school we all learned how the Japanese invaded Singapore, we could even hear actual stories from our grandparents. But we were never really exposed to what happened in Europe. If anybody gets a chance to visit a war memorial in Europe, do go. It was such an interesting experience I wouldn't mind going again.





Post a Comment