The colder months are coming, and so are the holidays!
I can't wait for my winter break to travel around Europe. But having chilly weather, means there is a higher chance of falling sick and catching a cold. Especially those who are used to warmer climates like me!
Somehow after 2 weeks in London, I caught the flu. On the day I left for my trip to Barcelona. And then, I ended with with a phlegmy cough, blocked nose and a really sore throat the rest of the 4 days (and 2 weeks after!)
Regardless, I still enjoyed my holiday in Barcelona, and managed to keep to the plan / visited all the places I wanted to go. Here is my first hand experience as a sick traveller, and the lessons I learned from it.
1. Take (Pre-pack) Medicine
This is a VERY important point. It does not matter if you're going for 3 days or 1 month. Just pack a small amount of medication just in case.
I managed to convince myself that I wouldn't fall sick, and without my mum around to make sure i've packed medication, I brought none.
I should have known to pack medicine. 1 year ago, on a holiday with my friends to Bangkok, Thailand, I developed a high fever in the middle of the night. My body felt like it was BURNING, it ached like mad when I tried to go to the toilet, I felt a little out of breath, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't sleep. I had never experience anything like that and at that point, I thought I was going to pass out. But because I had panadol with me (yes my mum made me pre-pack medication), I took it and I was fine.
Unfortunately, not having mediation in Barcelona = I had to make a stop at the pharmacy. Which brings me to point 2.
2. If not, Buy Medication ASAP
The main point is to immediately take medication when you feel sick.
I'm not for taking medication when you can let your body "naturally combat the disease" but when you're traveling, you will want to be in the pink of health, so go to a pharmacy get medication, and take it before you get a full blown Upper Respiratory Throat Infection and need antibiotics.
In Barcelona, the pharmacist was kind enough to give me medication that was suppose to work within 2 days. I was very skeptical initially, but I took the medication anyway. And that really helped to sooth my throat. Don't tell me its psychological. I tried to psych myself into thinking I was healthy to the point talking hurt my throat. Thankfully I went to the pharmacy and did not develop a fever.
3. WATER (or Tea)
I'm not someone who brings a water bottle everywhere with me, so I was really thankful to be with Jerald in Barcelona.
If you're going to be traveling alone. BRING A BOTTLE. Trust me. Water is very important. Goes without saying.
Tea helps as well. Hot green tea in the morning is something I gravitate to when i'm sick. Its also a good perk-me-up for the day (unless you don't like tea - why would you?!)
4. Keep Going - Mind over Body
When my nose is congested, my whole body and brain doesn't function. That's just a weird thing that I have. On more than one occasion, I thought to myself "Should we give it a skip?" and I initially considered giving Parc Güell a miss.
When this happens, and you're about to head to your next destination, access your situation, and if you can give your body a little push, tell yourself, "I can do this."
If you're traveling with others, they would be obliged to take care of you. Do not over exert, but also, do not be the one who affects other people. If 1% of you wants to go on, just do it!
5. Sleep
This will sound contradictory to the point above. You must be thinking, "Am I not suppose to experience as much as I can? Sleeping shouldn't be the way!" I know. Sleep is for the weak, and your body IS weak.
If you do feel a cold coming, take one night to go back slightly early, and rest. Get a good 8-10 hours of sleep, and then you can be in better shape to enjoy the rest of your holiday with that mind-over-body spirit.
Typically, people will tell you eat more fruits, don't consume thinks that will worsen your current state of health. But who are we kidding. When you're in a new country, all the local cuisine and food markets are at your disposal. You should try all types of food, so remember POINT 3. Keeping yourself hydrated is the best way
to go.
There you have it, 5 points to note in case anybody falls sick while traveling (seriously hope that does not happen to anyone!)
I hope every one going for their winter trip is healthy and strong. Remember to keep a healthy balanced diet during the colder winter months. Even if you're in the sunny tropics, stay hydrated!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)




Post a Comment