A Peek Into Cambridge University

15 January 2015 Cambridge, Cambridge, UK


Ah, Cambridge. The school where geniuses go to study and become greater geniuses. When I was younger (say secondary school?) I always thought people who went to Cambridge were some kind of academic gods with superb brains - only heard of but never seen. At least I thought I'd never cross paths with them. Coming from a small city like Singapore, you probably have to be one of the top few students in the country that year (and be fairly well-off financially) to make it into the university. It was a place where regular students (like myself) with regular brains never dream of going. It was far too elusive, too unattainable.
After entering into JC, I realized these so called "academic gods" actually do exist. They are just people who are humble, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, intelligent, extremely hardworking, and very blessed (or if you would want to say, lucky. Because let's face it getting into Cambridge require a little work from forces outside your control.) 

I went to Cambridge for a couple of days as my sister had her interviews, and managed to catch up with a dear friend of mine who brought my family and me around the different colleges. 

It is interesting how each college has its own residence and rooms for classes. It really gives off a nice, warm, family vibe. My sister was praying so hard she would get in. I would too if I had the chance. Who wouldn't? 

I love how the buildings are so ancient looking with wooden floors and yet at the same time have automatic glass doors. It was so ironic I just had to laugh. 



Cambridge University has such beautiful architecture and details - from statues and gold trimmings, to the way the white bricks contrast with the red and browns. I cannot believe that people study in places like these and they walk pass such well groomed lawns to class.







My favourite college is probably the St. John College. I mean just imagine looking at that river running through with tourist sail by on punting boats. Not to mention, the beautiful patch of grass. Definitely calls for a summertime picnic. 


There really is something special about the river. My family and I stayed in a little Airbnb outside of the city centre and we'd pass by the river walking in every morning and always stopped to take photos. Well, I made them stop, but they all agree the river does adds to the charm of the city.



My friend mentioned that there seem to be a common consensus that Oxford is a "sexier" city compared to Cambridge. Having visited both cities, sure Oxford seems a little more vibrant and exudes a cooler vibe. But, Cambridge is warm and cosy, it's like drinking hot chocolate in front of a fireplace on a cold winter's day (not that I would know how that feels, but in my head it's the analogy works). Not to mention, the cab drivers were also friendly (one shared with me about his desires for traveling south east Asia with his wife once his youngest child goes off to college, and about his mum who used to be a lecturer in cambridge university).

Studying with such talented people and feeling as though they're your family...  Seems like a dream doesn't it?

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .