5 Things I Did in Florence, Italy

14 March 2015 Florence, Italy

Things to do in florence italy

I blogged about climbing the Duomo in Milan for my first instalment of my trip to Italy. After spending 2 nights in Milan, we took an early morning train to Florence, the place where art and culture comes to life.

1. Strolled around the city, appreciating art sculptures and being a tourist on Ponte Vecchio
Florence is home to museums and the art. When you see several sculptures located near each other, you would definitely see students sitting in its vicinity sketching, painting and interpreting what they see on paper.

sculptures in florence italy sculptures and art in florence italy the florence duomo in italypont vecchio in florence italy

Ponte Vecchio was one of those touristy crowded places with people selling hand crafted items along the street, and typical touristy shops lined up on either side. I was more interested in the exterior facade of the bridge than the actual bridge to be honest. It reminded me of old village like houses that we see in old asian films, but with a European twist.

streets of florence italy
streets and art of florence italy


2. Admire the Panoramic Views on top of Piazzale Michelangelo

florence panoramic viewsflorence panoramic views from michaengelo piazzaflorence panoramic views

I think judging from my previous blog posts, it is safe to say that I'm a fan of panoramic city views. Its just amazing to be able to see an aerial view of a city. Somehow I just enjoy the process of climbing up and finally getting that majestic view. At that moment it just feels as though I can burst into "I'm on the, top of the world looking, down on creation and the only explanation I can find..."

For this view, Jerald and I took a bus up to Piazzale Michelangelo because I twisted my ankle. But not having to "work for it" didn't diminish the effect of being able to get that glorious view of Florence.

sculpture of michelanglo in florencesculpture of michelangelo in florence

3. Walked through the Glitz and Glamour of the Pitti Palace

pitti palace florence italychandelier in pitti palace florence italy

One of the nights in Florence, Jerald and I decided to go to the Pitti Palace and take a look at its artworks and grand interior decorations. We entered just before the last entrance time, and so pretty much had the Palace to ourselves.
It was HUGE. Rooms filled with walls of lovely art pieces, sculptures, tapestry, detailed ceilings. Definitely up in the ranks with the Palace of Versailles.

Sadly, we didn't have enough time to read and look through everything, and part of the Palace was cordoned off because they were about to close.
Art lovers should definitely visit this place, since the ticket also allows you to enter the museum of modern art!

art in pitti palace florence italydecoration pitti palace florence italyglamour of pitti palace florence italy

4. Searched for (and found!) Pistachio Butter

shops in florence italy foodI can eat a bag of pistachio nuts in 1 seating, and then go for another. I love the pistachio ice cream - its my go to flavour, I love the pistachio bits on top of cakes, and pastries, basically, I love all things Pistachio. Because bread and peanut butter is the cheapest and easiest self made breakfast food available in London, I have tuned my palette to enjoy it since moving over. Also, the availability of Almond Butter and Cashew Butter has also diversified my taste buds. When Jerald told me they sold Pistachio Butter in Italy, I WAS ECSTATIC. We were literally on the hunt for Pistachio butter. Every time I stepped into the supermarket, I would hope they have it stashed somewhere on the shelves. We found a pistachio and white chocolate spread in the street market of Milan, but according to Jerald, that was not what pistachio butter should taste like.
Not to say it wasn't good! I'm still enjoying that jar I bought ;)
Finally, upon arriving in Florence, we found it! We walked through the Covered Market and chanced upon a store selling all sorts of spreads, sweet and savoury, in little mason in jars.

Needless to say, we bought. A LOT. We spent 40 Euros on Pistachio cream, pistachio chocolate, pistachio nuts, and 1 bottle of Chocolate cream - which, to my surprise, tasted NOTHING like Nutella!

pistachio cream in florence italysweet shops covered market florence italy

5. Sniffed my way through the most incredible perfume aromatherapy shop

perfume shop florence italysanta maria novella perfume shop florence italy

This perfume shop is not only a shop, it could literally be a tourist attraction. The shop had a list of its products and oh my gosh, it was LONG. They had so many different scents and type of products from perfume, to soaps to teas, and alcohol. It was indeed overwhelming. I wanted to get a present for my roommate, and spent half my time being very confused and spoilt with choices.
This place reminded me of a book titled The Perfume Collector. It felt as if the perfume shop mentioned in the book came to life.
Apart from clothes, tea, and flowers, I absolutely love perfumes. So I was definitely happily sniffing away at the different bottles and squealing internally at the packaging of everything in that shop.

fashion outfit florence italythe cathedral in florence italy

That's 5 of the most memorable things I did in Florence, Italy. I know most people go to Florence to visit some of the best art museums, but thats not really my thing (I like museums, but 1 or 2 max. for a trip), and even more so for Jerald. But there is much the city has to offer even for the not so artistically inclined!

What would you love to do most when visiting Florence? Let me know below!
P.S. Anyone as obsessed with pistachio as me?

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .