
I think it has been over emphasised and advocated that a Little Black Dress is a wardrobe staple piece. Everyone goes on and on about how it is essential to have that perfect LBD that will save you in the event you have nothing to wear.
At age 15, I bought this black zipper dress from Bebe for a wedding dinner. It was definitely a splurge, which I convinced myself would be worth it as that dress would be a "staple piece in my wardrobe". Unfortunately, I was not a fan of wearing body hugging items on a regular basis, and had no chance of layering it up in the 30°C weather in Singapore.
I have probably worn it only once or twice after the wedding, and since it was suppose to be "staple piece", I took it to London "in the event I needed a dress for a night out". That's what I thought. I have yet to wear it for a night out (since I don't really go partying at night), and so I decided to style this zipper LBD in a more casual way. Here are 3 different outfits I came up with!


If you remember, the 1st outfit was from a previous Outfit Diary. I wore the zipper dress as a skirt in this look which is a really conventional take if I do say so myself. For the 2nd outfit, the folded details of the dress makes it an interesting long vest. I never tried wearing it as a vest, and now that I have, I don't think i'll need to buy myself that long black ASOS vest I wanted!



The last look is my favourite of the lot. Styling it as a top is pretty conventional, but the zipper detailing makes it more interesting instead of just being a plain black tank top look-a-like.
P.S. Tribute to my ASOS White ankles boots I got on a sale! :)




3 different looks from a slightly more streetstyle grunge-esque mixing leather and knit, to a casual outfit great for school/running around completing errands, and lastly, a winter to spring transition transition outfit great for a night out. This Mash Up segment really makes me rethink my clothing item. A black zipper dress is indeed versatile, and I didn't even wear it as a dress!
So which outfit do you like and how else would you style a simple LBD? Let me know your thoughts.
What I Wore
Sleveless Zipper Dress: Bebe (Similar here, here, here and here)
Outfit 1: Leather Jacket - Motivi / Knit Top - New Look / Boots - Topshop
Outfit 2: White Striped Top - Forever 21/ Beige Pants - Cotton On / Blue Bag - H&M
Outfit 3: Coat - Coldwear / Blue Bag - H&M / White ankle boots - ASOS
Post a Comment