Many people have said that Milan is generally not as exciting as the other Italian cities, unless you fancy some shopping. Still, i've always wanted to visit Milan to see its cathedral - the Duomo di Milano. Looking at pictures of it online, I couldn't imagine seeing something so intricately designed in real life! That was before I arrived in Europe and got mesmerised by the architecture and grandeur of its cathedrals. Like many other beautiful cathedrals i've been to, The Duomo di Milano didn't disappoint.
Before going to Milan, I heard from some of my friends that it was pretty boring and they spent a short time in the cathedral before leaving and going to shop. I was initially pretty bummed because y'know I gave myself the no-shopping rule and was determined to stick with it. Besides, I doubt i'd be able to afford them branded goods, even if they are retailing at a quarter of their original price - college/uni student budget.
Regardless, I was pretty excited to see the cathedral! I remember telling a friend I spent 4 hours at the cathedral, and he was shocked. I guess not many people choose to climb up to the roof top of the cathedral - well he didnt. I think it is SUCH A WASTE! Because it was so WORTH IT!
Amidst the waiting and the climbing, along with taking pictures and admiring the view of the city from the top, you could easily spend half a day there!
Before going to Milan, I heard from some of my friends that it was pretty boring and they spent a short time in the cathedral before leaving and going to shop. I was initially pretty bummed because y'know I gave myself the no-shopping rule and was determined to stick with it. Besides, I doubt i'd be able to afford them branded goods, even if they are retailing at a quarter of their original price - college/uni student budget.
Regardless, I was pretty excited to see the cathedral! I remember telling a friend I spent 4 hours at the cathedral, and he was shocked. I guess not many people choose to climb up to the roof top of the cathedral - well he didnt. I think it is SUCH A WASTE! Because it was so WORTH IT!
Amidst the waiting and the climbing, along with taking pictures and admiring the view of the city from the top, you could easily spend half a day there!




Before going up to the rooftop, we headed in to look at the interior of the church. It was MASSIVE! There were so many smaller side rooms you could visit, including the crypt, and different statues lined along the perimeter with beautiful stain glassed panels behind it. Just looking at how detailed everything is was an out of the world experience in itself. I mean, just look at the ceiling in this picture below? No wonder they took 6 centuries to complete the cathedral!
As usual, I spent half my time staring upwards instead of looking at where I was walking.
As usual, I spent half my time staring upwards instead of looking at where I was walking.






The sun light leaks through the stain glassed windows is by far my favourite thing. It never gets old. No mater how many cathedrals i've been to, no matter how many panels of stain glass windows i've seen, ever since I stepped into my first cathedral - the Notre Dame in Paris - i've always been mesmerised by the way the light disperses and casts dancing vibrant colours onto the pillars and walls in the cathedral.
After visiting the cathedral, we thought, "Oh it that it?" and that was when we chanced upon a sign that said we could visit the rooftop! I vaguely remember reading about how it was possible to walk on the roof of the cathedral several years ago - when Europe was nothing but a dream.
After queuing for about half and hour, we got tickets and headed up to the roof.





I love how as we headed up, we could have a clearer view of the details of its facade. It is incredible. I have so so so much respect for architects in the Gothic architecture era. The amount of attention they give to their work is commendable.
The interesting thing about climbing up to the roof of the Cathedral is that you have to are literally on a roof. They don't flatten the "ground" you're standing on so you feel like you're on a slope. My favourite part is seeing the city from the view of the statues. Imagine if they were to come to life ala Nights in the Museum, they literally have the BEST view of Milan. And because all the statues were facing outwards instead of inwards, you really do feel as though you're in their place - except from a lower point of view since I'm so short!




Needless to say, I think Jerald and I spent about close to 2 hours on the roof (climbing up as well as just staying there) The sun was setting when we decided we had wild away enough time in this one attraction, but, it would be such an audacity to not stay for the sunset. So, we did!
After seeing these pictures, wouldn't you agree that visiting the Milan Cathedral and not heading up to the roof is INDEED A WASTE?
For a 7 euro fee (if I remember it right), it sure is worth it to walk on rooftops, and admire the sunset from above!

Post a Comment