Visiting the Roman Baths + Outfit!

26 March 2015 The Roman Baths, Bath, Bath and North East Somerset BA1 1LZ, UK

Experience in the The Roman Baths

This is probably one long over due post. But well, better late than never?
Ever since Jerald showed me pictures of The Roman Baths I told myself, I had to visit. Partly, because at that point in time, I had this false impression that I could actually have a shot and bathing in the roman baths. But of course that wasn't the case, which Jerald pointed out when I asked. Considering how old the Roman Baths are, I doubt I want to bathe in them anyway!

Outfit of the dayThe Roman Bath Outfit of the dayStatues along The Roman Baths

I went with my family on a day trip to Bath and whilst we were there, we went on a tour to visit the acclaimed Roman Baths. We had to pay a small entrance fee, but I think considering it was my family's first time in England, they were very excited by all the architecture and especially to see how different the Roman Baths were from the typical hot springs we've seen in Asia.

When we entered to the place, we were on the second level where we could look down and have a full view of the main bath (tub?), and admire the details of the statues there could be seen from the ground level. And of course getting a closer look at the cathedral located near the baths.

Sculptures in The Roman BathAerial view of The Roman Bathwalkway of The Roman BathView of Church from The Roman Baths

Before we went to the ground level of the main Bath area, we walked through a series of exhibitions where they explained the history of the Roman Baths, the technology or rather techniques they used to ensure that the water in the bath would remain heated in the winter, as well as various artefacts to familiarise visitors with the Roman Era. There was even a human skeleton pieced together in one of the display cabinets! I found the ancient roman curses to be very intriguing, on how people would write curses on metal slabs to curse those who've wronged them, sounds very morbid and destructive, but I guess it was pretty common back in the days.

Artefacts and exhibition in The Roman BathsThe Roman Bath musuemThe Roman Baths waterThe Roman Baths

After looking through the exhibition, we got to see the grand area of the baths. This was the only bath that was open for visitors. There were 2 other bath areas we could observe through opening and glass panels, but weren't allowed to walk into or near it. As we were walking past those baths, I saw a thick layer of steam above the waters, and I thought damn the water must be really hot. I associate steaming waters with temperatures above 40°C. 
When we went to the main bath area, everyone was trying to take a picture of themselves, so I requested to have my mummy take one for me too! #tourist #asian (I also took a photo of my mum if you're wondering but I don't think she wants her face to appear on my blog!)

View of The Roman BathsSteaming Roman BathsSitting by The Roman Bath

At the main bath area, my mum and I were both very curious at the temperature of the water. So, we went to one corner and dipped our hands into the water to touch it (and took pictures too!), and then looked up and realised there was a sign saying NOT to touch the water. OOPS. But to our dismay, the water was not the least bit warm!! It felt like normal body temperature. Which got me wondering how all the steamed was forming. I came to a conclusion that it was because the surrounding temperature was a lot lower, but that could be wrong.

The main room in The Roman BathsSteam from The Roman Bath

The most interesting part of the tour was waiting for us at the end. The water of the bath is said to contain certain salts that are good for one's skin, and health, so at the end of the Roman Bath tour, we could drink the water from the bath - of course the clean and drinkable version, not the one directly from the bath! And the taste was... Interesting. When my mum and I took a plastic cup full, my sister and brother (who had already drank it and were waiting for us there) started laughing. Of course we realised why. It is a taste I have no words to describe. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely did not taste like water. There were other impurities in it, and it tasted like whatever that was in there. I think to try the water alone, is a reason to go to the Roman Bath!

Water Reflections in The Roman Bath

Since we visited bath on a saturday, there were loads of tourist in the area, and photographs were... difficult to take to say the least. But, it was an interesting trip, and a nice eyeopener!  It was also the first time I used my iphone6 for photos, I think it was pretty decent, not better than my old heavy Nikon DSLR, but definitely good enough. After visiting the Roman Bath, we weren't allowed into the church, so Zara and I hurried off to see the Royal Crescent whilst mummy and Isaac went to get us some dinner - and we all had to rush off because we nearly missed our bus.

The Royal Crescent in BathBath England Royal CrescentSelfie at the Royal Crescent in bath

I wish we could have spent more time in Bath. It was a very hectic week travelling with my family when they visited me in London, but I do miss their company especially since I'm reminiscing the time spent with them. Well, another 4 more months till I see them again :)

Would you ever taste funky water from old Baths? And why does the Bath steam? Please enlighten me!

WHAT I WORE
Green Coat: Zara
Pants: Primark
Sweater: Tobi.com (Featured Here)
Shoes: Carlo Rino

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .