How to Survive Alone In a Foreign Country Without WIFI

11 January 2016

* For the people who tend to always get lost. It's hereditary. I guarantee. I got it from my mama.

how to survive alone in a foreign country

I think up to this point, a lot of people are still shocked (my mum & boyfriend being the top of the list of people) that I managed to navigate around cities and travelled without wifi/without data /4G/3G/whatever form of phone internet connection. Judging from how I can get lost with google maps IN THE CITY I GREW UP IN.

I have to say, travelling alone was by far one of the most interesting, fun and special experiences i'll ever have in my life and my GREATEST takeaway from 2015.
Now when my dad and uncles talk about how the bag packed around Europe when they were younger, and how the scrimped and saved to afford a train ticket, I can relate.

tips to survive alone in a foreign country

After travelling for the most part of 2015, I have always wanted to share some of my tips especially for those who are afraid to take the plunge to travel alone or visit places alone.
This post has been in the works (and forgotten about oops)! For a while, and now its time to share!

Here are some easy ways to survive a solo travel, especially for those who, like me, tend to get lost one too many times, and are seriously dependent on WIFI. This is how you beat the odds!

THINK: You’re NOT Alone
When you think it often enough, somehow you end up convincing yourself that you're fine alone. Instead of thinking "What if i get pick pocketed in Paris, what if some one steals my phone in Italy what if I get lost in Portugal all on my own, what if..." think "If this happens, i'll just -inserts a way to solve the issue- after all, I'm not alone".
Tbh, bad things happen, no matter where you live, doesn't stop you from going to the grocery store on your own in your home town now does it? Sure some places are safer than others, and walking in a dark alley can be pretty scary, but just imagine all the people walking around alone in the city/town/place you're in.

You're not alone.
Just be brave, and you'll soon find out that the world isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be.

traditional mountain top house japan

PLAN: Pre-download Maps/Pre-plan your route
Well, in order to survive without wifi/internet connection on your phone (cause that is at least an additional $10 for every city = one good meal!) you need to preplan your routes. At least before you leave. Or make sure you know how to get back to your accomadation.
Citymaps2go, Citymapper, etc. there are tons of map apps out there that don't need wifi to operate pick one, familiarise yourself with it, and you're good to go. Citymaps2go is my fav.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I lost my phone, thank God that has never happened, but you can always double up with a physical map of the city if you want (I can't read physical maps, so I never use them, but I ALWAYS ALWAYS keep my phone secured).

Japan cut out trees on road trip
Japan road trip trees

DO: Talk To Locals/Other people
Don’t be afraid to talk to people even if you think they wouldn’t understand you. Trust me, people will find all ways to communicate or direct you even if you can't understand them. Once and old lady tried to guide me to the hostel I was staying at and we both spoke in completely different languages with a ton of hand gestures. It worked.
Don't be afraid to approach people. You'll find that there are a ton of friendly people in this world!

STAY: Choose hostels
This goes without staying. Stay in a place where people you meet LIVE in that city, and can give you tips on how to get around. I stayed in hostels during all my travels alone because
a) You meet people of the same demographic locals, students, people who have visited said city multiple times, etc.
b) It's way more affordable, and
c) You get to meet OTHER solo travellers and listen to their stories - by far the greatest thing that comes with travelling alone.

Country side and mountains view japan

PACK: LIGHT.
To be honest, the worst thing you can do to yourself is OVERPACK. Imagine being all alone and having one too many bags to carry whilst you are buying food and holding a tray trying to find a seat. Yeah. Nightmare. It happened to me once while I was halfway through Norway.
I wouldn't say I'm the best at packing light, but find all ways possible to ensure that your things all fit in one bag. Bag pack is the way to go, but if you're fashion conscious, fit everything in a small hand luggage. TRUST ME! IT'S POSSIBLE!

Image of japan at night traveling alone

After writing this post, I'm itching to book a flight and travel solo to another destination. Hopefully in Asia. I'm pretty sure traveling solo in Asia will be quite different from traveling alone in Europe, but either way, here's hoping my adventures (alone or with others) can continue in 2016.

I hope you found this useful, and do share some other tips you have down in the comments below!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .