2 Favourite Stories From My Oxford Tour Guide

18 November 2014 Oxford, Oxford, UK


From my previous post, you can tell that I really enjoyed my tour of the Universtiy of Oxford.
The tour guide shared with us many stories, little anecdotes (which could be purely fiction) of famous people who studied in Oxford University, professors who taught there, the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland, the inspiration for The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and many others.

However, there were 2 anecdotes that she shared that really struck a chord with me. I've been really lost about what I want to do with my life ( I know, I know,  you'll reply saying "aren't we all?") but the 2 stories she shared really did lift my mood and made me reflect a little more about life.





Follow Your Dreams
Your past doesn’t determine your future, your present doesn’t dictate your future.
Graduated from Oxford with a Masters in Engineering but he was never an engineer. Not for a day. He loved theatre when he was in college and pursued a career in acting after university. He went on to become and actor, a very succesful renown one – Mr. Bean. He was more famous than he would EVER be as an engineer.


Life Is In Your Hands
So the story goes, once upon a time… (queue dramatic introductory music)
A student caught a bird and held it behind his back. He went to his professor and said, “Sir, you’re a professor in one of the best universities in the world, you should be extremely intelligent, can you tell me if the bird behind me is alive of dead?”
The professor knew that if he said “alive” the student would kill the bird in that moment, and, if he were to say “dead” the student would free the bird and it would immediately fly off.
So the professor replied. “It’s life, is in your hands. You have the choice to let it live or die.”


Then the guide ended the tour with  “I hope this story reminds you that your own life is in your own hands, you can be whoever you want to be.”

I hope these 2 stories put a smile on your face today, and give you a little motivation, to keep believing in yourself, and have a little faith in life :)


Read more about my Day Trip in Oxford Here.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .