Birthday Dinner @ The Bleeding Heart, London

9 November 2014 Bleeding Heart Yard, London EC2N 8SJ, UK

Despite having my birthday fall on Halloween, I never really had any elaborate celebrations for it, neither have I attended any halloween parties. You would think being born on the 31st of October would give me a free pass to any halloween party, but i've never been into celebrating halloween. 
This is because,
a) I don't do spooky/gore/horror very well - nope i've never watch a horror film, and I will never
b) Halloween isn't that big in Singapore, at least not when I was younger.



So, while many londeners (and people around the world) dress up, paint their faces (I must say some of their self painted scars and wounds were so real. Props to them!) and head for parties, I had a nice quiet dinner with 2 of my favourite people from school, who just so happen to come down to London to spend some quality time with me.
(btw, to my other classmates - thank you for the midnight surprise and the cake. No wonder Jerald refused to let me go to sleep!)



The Bleeding Heart is a nice french restaurant located in Holborn.
According to the New Yorker, it is "Bleeding hard to find, but worth it." And it is true. It was pretty confusing trying to find the restaurant, but the bleeding heart bar is pretty prominently located, so the waiters at the bar were really nice and directed us to the restaurant.
I was so excited to finally go for a fancy dinner after having self-cooked meals for so long (not that I don't enjoy cooking with my friends). 


Stepping in and being greeted with "Bonjour" and "Mademoiselle", plus waiters saying "Bon Appetite" after every course is served, really brought back memories of Paris.  The whole ambience was amazing, the food was good, and the company was definitely the best part of my night.

Jerald and I both got wine. He got White wine and I got Rosé, and of course, they were both tasted pretty good. Not that I have any form of knowledge of how to judge the quality of wine, but my palette was very very happy with what was served.

That evening, I was having a meat craving. So I went for a duck and chicken starter, and suckling pig for mains. Jerald, who loves seafood, went for a lobster and avocado salad for starters, and both Fungyee and he got Fish for their main course.

Before our starters arrived, we were served some smoke salmon on a crispy toasted biscuit. Which was REALLY good. Like a burst of flavour in your mouth. All three of us loved it. 

On a completely different note, the heart shaped lights in the ceiling left really nice heart shaped reflections on our plates!

Jerald swapped his starter with me halfway through the course because I realised finishing a whole meat starter would result in me being unable to finish my suckling pig. That is not the way it should go.

Our starters, mine (top) and Jerald's (bottom)

I actually think the portion was big enough for an afternoon snack, or even a main course. But disclaimer - I'm a small meals many meals sorta girl, I had to skip lunch that day to make sure I was hungry enough during dinner.

The waiters were really nice and kept checking with us if we were enjoying our meal, which made me feel warm, welcomed and at home.

I remember bubbling with delight upon the arrival of our main courses - the smell of the roast on the suckling pig was divine. It has been ages since I've had suckling pig, hence the joy.
I wished the skin was crispier and less hard, but the meat was nice and tender, and to my surprise, it really blended well with the apple sauce. 
I've never really like mixing my salty and sweet when I'm hungry - it's just an unexplainable preference. But I thought the slight sweetness from the apple sauce balanced very nicely with the suckling pig.

Fungyee's Sea Bass and Jerald's Halibut respectively

I liked how they served the sea bass with something like a potato puree instead of regular mash potatoes. It was called saffron pomme mousseline. I thought pomme means apple in french, but I swear it tasted like potatoes. Regardless, it was different and I liked it!


Dinner ended off with complimentary madelines dusted off with icing sugar. Oh how I miss having croissants and madelines!

On a whole, we had a really good time, and a great meal. It wasn't cheap, but the ambience and good service made it an A-worthy experience.

Disclaimer: I wish my meal was sponsored, but no, I was not. Opinions are entirely my own. Ok, Jerald settled the bill, so technically I did not pay for my meal. 


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .