Book Review: Love With A Chance of Drowning

5 December 2014

I was browsing online for some travel related books to listen to during my train or bus journeys. What a more apt story than one about traveling.
Listening to travel blogger, Torre DeRoche's memoir of her journey across the world definitely makes me excited to explore new places - no doubt my experience is completely different from whats described in the book.

Disclaimer: I'm going to use the word "read" because its a book. But I actually listened to it on Audible. No I'm not lazy - Its just better to close my eyes and have someone read me the story when I'm on a long journey.



It was a very interesting book, about how Torre went to the USA looking trying to find herself, and ended up sailing around the world with a guy she met, falling in love. And they are married now. It seems unrealistic, and like a fairytale come to life. But know that it's a true story, gives you hope, AND a serious case of wanderlust. You just want to be ON that boat with her.


I've never thought of sailing the ocean, or sea, because a) I have no capabilities of that sort, and b) In Singapore, renting a small yacht for 2 hours costs you $2000.
To me, it was unfathomable how people had that sort of money to spend. I remember watching the yachts float when I was walking past sentosa cove and wondering, "How do people get this rich. Why do they buy a yacht and leave it floating here, while half way around the world,  (or maybe more realistically people on the same small considerably affluent island like Singapore) people have no abilities to pay for medical care or make ends meet."
I think I talked about this when I blogged about my trip to Monte Carlo in the summer.

Nevertheless, Torre's book made it seem realistic. How Ivan (the guy she met) worked hard to have his boat. Her giving snippets of his family background, how he came to America hoping to escape the over controlling government rule in his country.
Her description of their journey, the difficulties and struggles she faced were described with a mixture of light-hearted entertainment and serious, vivid anecdotes.


To most people, the books I read are more "chic-lit" not about a deeper meaning to life, solving crimes, or whatever people believe adults at 21 years of age should read.
I prefer reading stories of real people. Things that everyone can related to, things that are light hearted, things about life. Mostly a book that doesn't require me to wreck my brains, and isn't tiring to read.

Love with a chance of drowning was exactly that. Listening to the book made me google for more stories of other people who have had similar experiences, or have sailed the oceans, suddenly, going on a sailing/boat trip, seems like a huge possibility not restricted to only the rich and famous as I previously thought.

If you want a light-hearted read, and something to fuel your wanderlust, you should pick this book up :)

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .