This year is going to be my first christmas out of Singapore.Typically, christmases back home consist of my whole extended family gathering at one of my aunt's or uncle's house, having a big christmas dinner, blasting the AC, watching movies, eating chocolates and exchanging presents.
Since this is my first year abroad and away from my family during Christmas, I foresee a very different experience with this festive season.
First difference being: I WENT TO A CHRISTMAS MARKET!
Back home in sunny island Singapore, pre-christmas sales are abundant. Going down Orchard Road/any shopping mall anywhere, you'll be able to find sales on clothes, shoes, toys, everything. Hopping from mall to mall to buy christmas presents for my friends and family became a tradition. Unfortunately, there were no Christmas Markets around.
On the weekend I was in Manchester (visiting Jerald), he told me that Manchester has one of the best Christmas Markets in the UK. Coincidentally, the weather was amazing that saturday evening. We had every reason to visit Manchester's Christmas Market.
Needless to say, many seem to share our sentiments. Stepping into the christmas market was like walking into a human traffic jam - constantly bumping into people, and being shoved from side to side, all whilst slowly inching my way to the various food stalls for some food!
The market was huge and sold things from food, to home furnishings, mini christmas trees and lights, deserts, drinks, etc. Initially, I was more distracted by the flickering lights on the tree, the spinning windmill, and the huge red and white santa snowman on top of the city square. It was gorgeous! The contrast to the dark night sky just made the lights shine so much brighter.
After a couple of minutes spent looking up and being shoved around, the smell of food hit me. Sausages, Crepes, Burgers, I started repeating "I want some food" to Jerald every 5 steps we took.
There were so many different stalls to choose from, some selling the same type of food, others different. Eventually, we settled for a Spicy Hotdog Bun, Bacon and Potatoes, and a Pulled Pork Burger with Apple Sauce.
I was a little unsure about the apple sauce, but everyone seemed to like it - there was a queue in front of the sauce dispenser - so I relented and let Jerald have additional apple sauce in the bun. Turns out, the slight sweetness of the apple sauce complemented the pulled pork pretty well ;)
Almost everyone in the Christmas Market seemed to be either holding a bottle of beer or a mug with steam coming out. Somehow, my brain concluded that the mug contained hot chocolate. However, it was actually HOT WINE. Mulled Wine.
Drinking Mulled Wine sends nice warm sensation to your stomach. I want to say it's like receiving a big christmas day hug, but thats the description I'd use for a strong cup of hot tea, so lets not say that. Nothing can be compared to Tea. Tea is still THE BEST.
The Manchester Christmas Market served mostly german food, and Germany is known to have one of the BEST christmas markets in the world. This first christmas market experience has me dreaming of all the other christmas markets i'll go to during my winter trip to Berlin, and my Christmas in Prague!
I CAN'T WAIT! Winter Break PLEASE ARRIVE NOW.
Which is your favourite christmas market? Comment below!













Post a Comment