John Rylands Library - Manchester, United Kingdom

18 December 2014 John Rylands Library, 250 Oxford Road, Manchester, Manchester M13 9PP, UK

I'm going to say it now. This is the most gorgeous library I've seen.
Disclaimer: This statement may not stand the test of time.

Growing up in Singapore, I haven't been exposed much to victorian, neo-gothic themed architecture. I'm sure there are lots of other beautiful libraries all around Europe, not to mention, the world. But as of now, this is the nicest i've seen.


From the outside, the John Rylands Library looks a little old, slightly dirty and quite rundown. Stepping in to the library, you first come face to face with the library store. Walking past the store, you'll be hit with white washed walls, and extremely bright lights. A modern and sleek design of the area leading up to the entrance of the main library.

I think having the clean white walls leading up to the entrance a very smart move. The moment you step into the corridor of the library, you get a COMPLETELY different ambience.
You see a brown dimly lit corridor with a victorian theme architecture. Entering the different segments of the library, you can read about the different artefacts on display and see shelves and shelves of books displayed from floor to ceiling. The bookshelves seem to say "Do Not Touch" and exude a certain feeling of antique charm and elitism - you know like if these bookshelves were humans, they'd be one of those untouchables. Stern looking, Grandfatherly, Untouchable.
Do you get what I mean?


Before entering the main hallway, we were walking through the different exhibitions, and reading about the different artefacts, looking at old books, etc. And I asked Jerald and his friends "Do people study here?" The lack of tables and chairs made it feel as though it was a museum instead of a functional library.

But alas, we stepped into the main hall with more bookshelves, warm yellow lights, beautiful dark brown wooden tables and chairs, and students actually studying there!


Truth be told, I wonder if they are actually able to study in the John Rylands Library. The gorgeous yellow lights, are so not meant for studying. If I were to attempt to study at this library i'd fail miserably. I think i'll be too distracted by everything around me, the visitors, the books, the displays, everything. Focusing on Pressure, Volume and Temperature (engineering stuff...) would probably be least of my concerns.

Would you like to study in the John Rylands Library? Comment Below!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .