In my 3rd week in Imperial College, my personal tutor/professor asked me, "What would you like to gain in your year here?" He suggested that I should have some goals/some targets for myself, even if they were not academically related. This way, when I look back on my one year abroad, I would be able to appreciate my experience and everything that i've learned.
Since a large part of my 2015 will be spent traveling (I hope! I mean i'm on a year abroad in Europe theres no reason not to), I decided to share some of my Travel Goals for 2015.
1. Travel alone to a non-english speaking country for at least 3 days
Starting off with a really specific one here. But I've thought about all the european countries - those that I have yet to make any plans to visit - and traveling to Portugal seems like a really good idea.
Some of you may know that I've lived/interned in Paris, where the national language is french, but I never really saw myself a tourist. I was sort of a half tourist half inhabitant. I'm pretty sure traveling alone as a tourist would be different.
Traveling alone in the UK is pretty ok because everything is in English and everyone can understand me. I would love to experience what it feels like to be alone as a tourist in a foreign land with a foreign language - I cannot even recognise Portuguese when someone is speaking it. Going to Portugal alone is definitely going to be interesting.
2. Go to Morocco
I would say Africa but No. I'm not backpacking the whole of Africa in 2015. I'll be realistic. Lets start out slow. I just want to set foot into the continent. Morocco is the nearest to Europe, so somewhere in 2015, I hope I find a way to go to Morocco - maybe during the cold January/February months to escape winter for a little bit. Definitely in need of some sunshine.
3. Travel Eastern Europe
Significantly cheaper than central and western Europe, yet also filled with so much culture and history.
I don't know much about eastern Europe, but I have half a year to find out before heading on a summer trip to a couple of cities in the region. Well thats the plan for now. Summer in eastern europe, lets hope it works out!
4. Join A School Organised Trip
Technically, it isn't organised by Imperial. It's just a group of students who organise trips to various parts of the UK, but i've never been on any of them unfortunately.
When I was in Oxford, I met a group of students from Warwick who were on sort of a school organised trip - basically the school organises the transport, and you get to visit the city free and easy on your own. They seem to know each other really well as they frequently go on those type of trips.
In 2015, I hope to be able to get my calendar to coincide with one of these trips and hopefully meet more international students who are on a 1 year abroad/1 year masters programme in Imperial.
5. Continue Traveling After Returning to Singapore
I've always loved to travel, and this year abroad just catapulted my love for traveling. I hope to be able to find the time (AND MONEY) amidst all the school work and commitments to travel - either alone or with friends, and just to visit more of South East Asia, perhaps go to Australia again or New Zealand! Maybe even Japan and Korea. There's so much of the world i'd love to see, hopefully I'm able to continue with traveling and blogging about it after this year in London.
Those were my 5 main travel goals for 2015! What are yours?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)



Post a Comment