10 Happy Things Since Moving to London

21 October 2014 London, UK

To sound more objective after the previous post, and give a more positive outlook to life on exchange, I decided to shed light on the happier/more interesting things that have happened since I've started living in London.



1. I finally tried pole dancing - and I'm probably going to continue.
- Hopefully I get to do Aerial here as well!

2. I've gone to the supermarket like every other day for groceries. I think I'm starting to get really good at making meals out of £1 or 2 for £5 groceries.

3. I went for a Boat Party down the Thames.
- Wasn't much of a party with £5++ booze, but the view was gorgeous!

4. Reconciled a certain important friendship I thought was lost forever.

5. Having decent Asian food = cravings have yet to kick in.
- Includes: Tonkutsu with my beloved Siow, whom I hope has the best time of her life here in London. Four seasons with Aunty Anna, Serene and 2 of mum's ex-students. Chopsticks for a post boat party supper.

6. Having a really nice roommate.
- Friends have told me that they feel like they don't have their own personal space when they have a roommate, but its been good for me thus far. My roommate and I have very different schedules, so we don't see each other THAT often, but, I very much enjoy spending time with her :)
We've already gone shopping together!

7. Having kind Singaporeans in class.
- Kind, and SMART and Hardworking. This means I have a lower chance of failing the year even if I were to skip class cause I can look to them for help? Haha! Being the only exchange student in the level (most exchange students take like 2 mods from yr 1-4, but I take majority of Y2 imperial chem eng modules) I was worried that I would not be able to find companions and that i'll be just left alone to fend for myself (academically) - and we all know that I don't exactly fair very well in this aspect.
So thankful to meet them, well actually, they introduced themselves to me, which makes me even more grateful for that!

8. I've eaten more than 5 big bags of Tyrrells Veg Crisps in the last 2 weeks.
- If I go back to Singapore double in size next year, this is why.

9. I was never a huge fan of sweet things like chocolate and ice-cream, but my Sophia got me hooked on Snickers Ice Cream Bars.
- I've had 1 everyday in the last 3 days. 

10. Living SUPER near to school. 
- Living in a hostel has its good and bad, but oh my gosh. Its so good to live a 3 min walk from the Chemical Eng Building.



I'm not sure if I should say I'm grateful for 8 & 9, but its nice to be able to snack without feeling the guilt (yet!)
That's a little positive update from me! I'm actually really excited for the coming year. Even though I predict that school work will be such a b*tch, having travel plans and something to look forward to during the weekends will most definitely make things a lot easier.
I hope I don't appear schizophrenic after this post! I still stand by the fact that if you ever have the chance to live alone overseas - be it summer exchange, an overseas internship, a full semester/year exchange, or even a short 2 weeks immersion program - YOU SHOULD TAKE IT. 
Opportunities like this hardly ever come by, and as a student/youth, you get subsidies, and travelling is so much cheaper than if you were to go to the same places as an adult. It would be silly to pass up such an opportunity.



I know some people do have financial constrains, but there is always a way to get around it - work and save up, apply for grants, student loans etc. Being on a scholarship, I know I'm one of the luckier ones, and for that, I'm extremely grateful. Still, I know of friends who work around their financial situations and had/are having the time of their lives learning and growing from living overseas.

One important thing i've learnt thus far is: shit happens sometimes during exchanges, but the bad makes you appreciate the good that much more, and you learn important lessons in each and every step along the way. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to determine how meaningful the experience is.

Photos of London from my Instagram.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .