Happy 50th Birthday Singapore! (+ 5 highlights of this year's parade)

9 August 2015 Padang, Singapore, Singapore 179861

Happy 50th birthday singapore, SG50 National day preview parade

The lights turned up, flags started waving and the 4 MCees of the National Day Parade walked out onto the white parade grounds of The Padang.
Sitting in the fifth row of this NDP preview meant that I had an awesome unobstructed view, with the words Majulah Singapura (Onward Singapore) hanging on the building just to my left. It was an awesome sight.
Being able to watch the parade live (even if it was just the rehearsal) is something many Singaporeans wish for but never get the chance to. Every year, tons of Singaporeans ballot for a seat in the parade, and even with 2 different parade grounds this year, many got rejected - including poor Jerald (he got rejected 6 years running!) But somehow, Jerald won some award and scored 2 tickets to one of the previews/rehearsals, so I insisted he brought me along.

Coming home after being away for a whole year meant that this 50th Anniversary parade was all the more special. 
I remember being in primary 5 (11 years old) and having the chance to watch the preview parade, it was one of my most memorable National Day Celebrations.

SG50 National day preview parade majulah singapura padang
SG50 National day preview parade in padang parade grounds

You see, unlike countries like USA, Singapore doesn't have such major festivities when it comes to celebrating its Independence Day (9th of August). There is no dressing up in flag colours (unless you're going to the parade) neither are there house parties or any sort. Typically, we have celebrations in school, and a half-day off lessons - which by the way I treasured immensely when I was in primary and secondary school! 
I think for the past couple of years, I spent my national day either in the vicinity of the parade grounds to watch the fireworks, or just... going about with my daily activities/making use of the public holiday to catch a movie with friends. I use to watch the parade on television, however, the national day songs and parades in there past few years didn't seem to have the same effect as they did before. 

However, considering this year is Singapore's 50th anniversary, I knew the parade has to be good.

SG50 National day preview parade at padang
sunset over the parade in padang SG50 National day preview parade

Highlight #1:
The parade kicked off with 4 famous songs in 4 different languages - Chinese, Tamil, Malay and then English. 
I don't even know the titles of the Chinese and English songs, neither do I speak Malay nor Tamil. But growing up in a multiracial society meant that we had to learn these songs when we were in primary school. Even though I haven't sung any of these songs in years, I was able to them belt out as though I spoke those languages fluently and mastered those songs yesterday. Everyone around me probably thought the same way judging front the hype and booming volume we were all singing at. 

This year's parade featured so many of the older national day theme songs, sung by their original singers, it was so nostalgic.

the sam willows lip syncing at SG50 National day preview parade

Highlight #2:
A well known "boring" part of the parade to Singaporeans (myself included) that happens every year's is the marching through of the different armed forces, as well as the listed corporations in Singapore. However this year, it was considered a highlight for me.
The armed forces wore their original uniforms from 50 years back, and the best part of the march-past was that the soldiers that were in the original parade 50 years ago, WERE MARCHING IN THIS YEAR'S PARADE. What an honour it was to be watching them! Also, they brought back trishaws and had the stewardess of the national air carrier sit on them through the march-past. It was lovely to watch.

Singapore Airlines air stewardess at the SG50 National day preview parade march-past
SG50 National day preview parade march-past

Highlight #3:
Every year, the flying of the planes and airforce demonstrations are undoubtedly my favourite. This year, with planes flying in the formation of the numbers 5 and 0, plus being able to see it live, hear the roar of the plane engines, the helicopters, and catching them criss-crossing in the air, meant so much more. It was a spectacular sight.

SG50 National day preview parade aeroplanes in a 50 in the sky
fighting jets forming a 50 at SG50 National day preview parade
helicopters in the sky at SG50 National day preview parade padang
SG50 National day preview parade aeroplanes flying vertically to the sky
flying jets in the sky at SG50 National day preview parade padang

Highlight #4:
The tribute to our First Prime Mister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew.
This year is the first in 50 years that he wouldn't be there to attend the parade, but in his memory is a wonderful nation, strong, and free. May he rest in peace.
I've never seen a more tasteful, honest, and genuine tribute. I think this tribute alone, should be the reason singaporeans tune in to this year's parade. It wasn't over shadowing the parade, neither was it in your face (you know since the elections are coming).

Highlight #5:
Messages from the Singaporeans abroad.
I remember being in Paris last year for National Day, and having a slight tinge of sadness because there was no one to celebrate the day with/acknowledge the fact that the 9th of August was a special day. I never thought i'd feel sad about missing National Day, but it happened. They say you don't appreciate things until you lose them - that is true.
I'm not sure if they included the people living abroad in past parades, but it was nice that they were allowed to film some short clips and be part of this year's video montage!

parachuter shows in SG50 National day preview parade


Every year, I'm the most excited about the fireworks. But with all the different things going on in the parade, the fire works at the end, although good, weren't a highlight for me. This is a good thing in my opinion. There's got to be more to the parade than the finale of fireworks right?
I think over the years Singaporeans have been blessed by so many wonderful things, we constantly try to fight for more, ask for more, demand more, that we forget to remember how far we've come. This year's parade is a reminder of what we were 50 years ago, and what we have achieved in the last 50 years. From a third world nation to first world, Singapore has come really far.

Where i belong national day song sung at SG50 National day preview parade image
Stephanie sun singing at SG50 National day preview parade at padang

No matter how people choose to celebrate this national day, I hope Singaporeans find time to catch this year's parade, be it having watch one of the preview, at the actual parade itself, watching the live telecast, or a re-telecast another day, it is nice to take 3 hours out of your regular activities to appreciate the good things that has happened to Singapore in the last 50 years. Singaporeans born before the millennium, especially the 80s and 90s kids, will definitely appreciate this year's parade.

Singapore, although small, and young, is definitely a fighter. I never expected myself to say this (ask me 1 year ago and i'd thought someone would have brainwashed me!) but I'm proud to be Singaporean, I'm proud to be part of a country where it is safe, free, multi-racial, and meritocratic. I'm honoured to know that handwork is rewarded, and opportunities will open when we fight for them.
Maybe, in another 50 years time i'd be able to see the 100th national day parade. Who knows?

Till then, Majulah Singapura!

SG50 National day preview parade night time majulah singapura


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Travel and Life | by C. . Design by Fearne .